Well before Albert Gore's movie, An Inconvenient Truth 2006. Jerry Falwell (who was all over television for years) was on CNN's Inside Politics on 20 November 2002 talking over Ron Sider, President of the Evangelical for Social Action, who was attempting to make an argument of prudent stewardship of the earth* (Genesis ii. 15). During the programme Falwell said:
- I believe that global warming is a myth.
- But I can tell you, our grandchildren will laugh at those who predicted global warming. We'll be in global cooling by then, if the Lord hasn't returned. I don't believe a moment of it. The whole thing is created to destroy America's free enterprise system and our economic stability. And I'm so glad that President Bush and 99 of the 100 senators have refused to sign the Kyoto treaty.
- Well, the global mythologists who are teaching global warming are part of that blame-America-first group. We create 25 percent -- I'm surprised they didn't say 50 percent of all the problems in the world.
- The fact is that there is no global warming. It is a myth.
- (and having his way, he had the last word) I urge everyone to go out and buy an SUV today.
Some time later at work i posed the question twice, to two different fellows on two different work sites, separated in time, but in regards to the National Rifle Association/gun manufacturers, and again the anger, but even greater, past the point of madness.
I asked my nephew, he is over thirty, does he recognise the name 'Jerry Falwell'? Only vaguely. He died mid May 2007. He is gone and forgotten, but his loud mouth, huckstering, money love of politics lives. Falwell, could be affable, his descendants are virtually to the last one obnoxious beyond forbearance. What does this teach? The god that Americans worship is Mammon, and that he is a very jealous god.
* And the Lord God took man, and put him into the paradise of pleasure, to dress it, and to keep it.