Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Boy in Ohio

...But now a freeway covers the field
Where I used to be so happy...

Soon I was grown and I had to leave
And I've been all over the country
But I don't believe I've had more fun
Than when I was a boy in Ohio

Phil Ochs was a folksinger, who wrote and sang topical songs until he ended his life in 1976. He spent part of his boyhood in Columbus, Ohio and went on to the university and wrote for the school paper. He was what one called a 'leftist'. He sang against american military involvement in southeast asia, racial bigotry and human callousness. Such people existed then.

He also penned one most wistful tune and song, "A Boy in Ohio". It is not the only poignant song of Ohio. "Banks of the Ohio" and in a Livingston Taylor song [done by Linda Ronstadt] "In My Reply" ...He said "Will I see my Ohio?" The Pretenders [Cuyahoga Falls] had the song "My City Was Gone". Chrissie Hynde sang, "The farms of Ohio had been replaced by shopping malls." Gruesomely sad was Neil Young with CSNY "Ohio", "Soldiers are gunning us down ... Four dead in Ohio."

Ochs gets very specific, "I rode my bike down Alum Creek Drive". He also sings "Buckeye sun", that noun [there an adjective] is not used much beyond the school nickname. Phil throws in 3.2 beer, which is still available in five states further west at the grocers and quicky marts. It was in existence then and available for purchase by eighteen year olds in Ohio, it is now replaced with 'light beer' for a different demographic, a product for people whom do not really like beer.

Other than Jonathan Edwards singing about "Athens County", there is much nostalgic sweetness but little present happiness. Another song from Athens was JD Jewell's, "Millfield Train Wreck". He reminds us the houses are too close to the tracks, "but this is Appalachia ain't no way to move them back".

Drew Carey had the very short version of the novelty "Moon over Parma" as his television theme, years before it was sung by Robert McGuire on the Big Chuck and Little John Show. Then later Carey had "Cleveland Rocks", which is a novelty, feel good, rock anthem with less substance than the McGuire song.

No comments:

Post a Comment