Tuesday, January 15, 2013

fortune writing

Advertising is an assault on truth, far more than it is accurate. I dislike the uniquely American  concept of 'boosterism' [See: Sinclair Lewis', Babbitt]. They are manufactured braggadocio, disguised as enthusiasm, and quite often for private profit.

I've quoted the other 1920s Minnesota boy before:
Advertising is a racket, like the movies and the brokerage business. You cannot be honest without admitting that its constructive contribution to humanity is exactly minus zero.—F. Scott Fitzgerald
Fortune cookie writing, is a limited market. Few pearls are found in those shells. I have discussed this before. I thought it was done, and it would still be funny, although some supposedly object, for a cookie message to have a preamble: 'Confucius says'. Recently, i found this beauty supra. Generally, the tendency is to blandness, and not toward edginess.   I requested for my three readers to send me a good message. I am still waiting.

Some people find little difference between the cookie, and paper. Of course, there are many delightful cookies. After last Sunday's Mass, there was a Polish cookie table in the gym. On the drive home, i heard Peter Sagal say he liked cookies, and suggested someone in a Kansas City cookie store to send him one; but fortune cookies are slight.

No comments:

Post a Comment