Thursday, May 5, 2011

The last hero from a forgotten war

To-day, across the world in Australia there died the last veteran of the Great War, Claude Stanley Choules, *1901. He joined the British Navy at 14. He transferred to the Australian Navy and served in the Second World War. He did not attend commemorations of the wars, for commemorations tend to glorify.

Eric Bogle is a Scot whom emigrated to Australia. He wrote two well known sad songs of WWI. One was of Aussies and New Zealanders who fought at Gallipoli.
...And I watch the parade pass before me
And I watch my old comrades, how proudly they march
Reliving old dreams of past glory
And the old men march slowly, all bent, stiff and sore
The forgotten heroes from a forgotten war
And the young people ask, "What are they marching for?"
And I ask myself the same question
And the band plays Waltzing Matilda
And the old men answer to the call
But year after year their numbers get fewer
Some day no one will march there at all ...
That day has come.

No comments:

Post a Comment