Tuesday, January 24, 2017

What Is Truth?

 
Nikolaj Nikolajevič Ge. Что есть Истина, Христос и Пилат. 1890. Moscow.
  What Is Truth, Christ and Pilate

"Quid est veritas (What is truth)?", Pilate dismissively mocks Jesus. Pilate is the Procurator of Judea, a political governor. Pilate has no concern, nor respect for the concept of truth. It is only words. Some speculate Pilate expressed a philosophical curiosity in this query. No, i have found when one brings up an ethical point to someone whom has no moral qualms (goal oriented) they dismiss (either derisively or nonchalantly) the silly thought, and treat the person a fool, or a joker.

John xviii.—37 Pilate therefore said to him: Art thou a king then? Jesus answered: Thou sayest that I am a king. For this was I born, and for this came I into the world; that I should give testimony to the truth. Every one that is of the truth, heareth my voice. 38 Pilate saith to him: What is truth? And when he said this, he went out again to the Jews, and saith to them: I find no cause in him.

No comments:

Post a Comment